Dallas, Texas, USA
Are you at your most vibrant when you’ve successfully distilled data into its simplest, most meaningful form?
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
As consultants, we work with our clients to ensure we’re evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, build a bold new mobile application for a bank or redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines. You will learn to use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
Data Engineers develop modern data architecture approaches to meet key business objectives and provide end-to-end data solutions. You might spend a few weeks with a new client on a deep technical review or a complete organizational review, helping them to understand the potential that data brings to solve their most pressing problems. On other projects, you might be acting as the architect, leading the design of technical solutions, or perhaps overseeing a program inception to build a new product. It could also be a software delivery project where you're equally happy coding and tech-leading the team to implement the solution.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will partner with teammates to create complex data processing pipelines in order to solve our clients’ most ambitious challenges
- You will collaborate with Data Scientists in order to design scalable implementations of their models
- You will pair to write clean and iterative code based on TDD
- Leverage various continuous delivery practices to deploy, support and operate data pipelines
- Advise and educate clients on how to use different distributed storage and computing technologies from the plethora of options available
- Develop and operate modern data architecture approaches to meet key business objectives and provide end-to-end data solutions
- Create data models and speak to the tradeoffs of different modeling approaches
- Seamlessly incorporate data quality into your day-to-day work as well as into the delivery process
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have a good understanding of data modelling and experience with data engineering tools and platforms such as Kafka, Spark, and Hadoop
- You have built large-scale data pipelines and data-centric applications using any of the distributed storage platforms such as HDFS, S3, NoSQL databases (Hbase, Cassandra, etc.) and any of the distributed processing platforms like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Oozie, and Airflow in a production setting
- Hands on experience in MapR, Cloudera, Hortonworks and/or cloud (AWS EMR, Azure HDInsights, Qubole etc.) based Hadoop distributions
- You are comfortable taking data-driven approaches and applying data security strategy to solve business problems
- You’re genuinely excited about data infrastructure and operations with a familiarity working in cloud environments
- Working with data excites you: you can build and operate data pipelines, and maintain data storage, all within distributed systems
- Assure effective collaboration between ThoughtWorks’ and the client’s teams, encouraging open communication and advocating for shared outcomes
A few important things to know:
While we’ve traditionally been a traveling consultancy, travel is not required for this role at the moment. We anticipate the need for travel to our client locations in the future when it’s deemed safe.
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you? That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (click "contact me about recruitment opportunities" to hear about jobs in the future).
It is the policy of ThoughtWorks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and ThoughtWorks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran or military status, family or marital status, disability, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. ThoughtWorks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.