Business Development Manager - Social Change Sector (12 Month FTC)
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
Social Change and the impact that technology can play in transforming organisations that support Social causes. Providing partnership and technical expertise in the field is an exciting and important part of ThoughtWorks culture. To support our ability to expand these partnership (and find new ones), we are looking for a Business Development Manager to join in a 12 month fixed term contract role.
To be successful in the role, you will need to bring your passion for social change - whatever that is - to this role and to our client portfolio. Whether you are able to build on the brand we have in humanitarian, homelessness or LGBTQ+, or you move us into new or partially explored sectors (such as climate or racial justice or something else), We are open to our portfolio being shaped by you!
(This role can be part time or full time. To be determined depending on the candidate. If part time, the need to be able to manage and communicate their time commitment to this role will be discussed as part of the process)
This role is primarily a ‘Business Development’ role for our Social Change client portfolio, and would be ideal for someone wanting to build on their already existing network within this sector. The role will be responsible for the full range of ‘Business Development Manager’ responsibilities from marketing and working on a strategy for lead generation, through to relationship building and maintenance of client engagement during project delivery.
The nature of our work in the ‘Social Change’ sector is significantly different to that of our commercial client portfolio, as social change clients are generally working in a low resource environment. This requires ingenuity to find partnership solutions and a high degree of pragmatism. It's crucial that we create honest relationships that can benefit and be sustainable for both the client and ThoughtWorks.
The right candidate should be excited to achieve a good proportion of the following expectations - and knows they can ask for support where needed.
We have shown priorities for the role under the following headings: Primarily responsible for, Would be, Could be.
The Business Development Manager will be ‘Primarily’ responsible for external facing work including:
- Pipeline for Social Change projects
- Jointly (with the Social Change Project Lead) responsible for the strategy for new market development to attract sustainable social change projects.
- Building relationships and potentially partnerships for creating impact for vulnerable and /or marginalised people
- Follow up on opportunities for ThoughtWorks to partner with social /climate impact clients - including at a low bono rate.
- Manage a balanced portfolio of social change-focused clients - balanced in terms of revenue/cost, tech/advisory, team size, themes, impact, risk etc.
- Able to shape and manage a client relationship to ensure the focus stays on impact for the community in need and remains sustainable for ThoughtWorks and the client
- Can fulfil internal policies and process requirements, as applicable to any new or existing client opportunities (inc. deal qualification and review processes, social change governance, documentation, monitoring and reporting.
- Represent ‘ThoughtWorks UK - Social Change’ externally in the UK
- As a ‘leader in tech’ for the social change and climate crisis space
- Attending conferences and events (as required and available)
- Working with and providing insight to Strategic advisory groups
Responsibilities in which the role ‘would’ also be involved:
You would also be involved in the following in collaboration with the Social Change Project Lead based on priorities:
- Strategy for ThoughtWorks UK Social Change
- Align with the Social Change Project Lead, D&I Lead and UK leadership team on strategy.
- Align with other business stakeholders in ThoughtWorks to get social change on their agenda e.g marketing (for campaigns).
- Share responsibilities with the Social Change Project Lead
- Be strategic and say ‘no’ sometimes
- Managing Social Change engagements
- Manages end-to-end client-ThoughtWorker engagement including: meetings, fees, contracts, invoicing, etc
- Development of a portfolio of social change clients (new market development)
- Create events as needed - bring in key speakers
- Represent Social Change on the demand call
- Advocate for Social Change projects with senior leadership
- ThoughtWorker (your colleagues) Engagement
- Communications and measuring engagement in Social Change work
- Produce thought leadership content on social change content for both internally and externally
Responsibilities in which the role ‘could’ also be involved:
Also could be involved in the following in collaboration with the other SC Lead whose primary focus is:
- Pushing forward a culture change and growth within ThoughtWorks including:
- Climate crisis - particularly Carbon neutral goal
- Responsible Technology
- Worked with (or in) social impact organisations (ideally to advise and deliver technology)
- Strong exposure to fundraising and grant applications related to new technology.
- Sales - experience new business generation and client management.
- Build relationships within or between organisations (based on shared values)
- Exposure to the delivery of software or technology implementation products.
Nice to Have
- Experience working with legal and finance departments
- Event Management