ThoughtWorks is a pioneer in integrating experience design with agile software delivery. Our designers work as part of multi-disciplinary teams that balance the thinking required to understand complex problems with the hard work and discipline required to get high quality working software into the hands of our client’s employees and customers.
What is it like to work as a designer at ThoughtWorks?
Designers at ThoughtWorks get the opportunity to work collaboratively delivering the highest quality bespoke software. We routinely take on the most challenging problems our clients have, providing opportunities for designers to take their existing skills to a much higher level. We pride ourselves on a working culture that puts teamwork and diversity first, as well as providing an innovative community of practice to support continuous professional development.
About the role
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to work as a Service Designer for Technical Operations (TechOps) at ThoughtWorks in a global role. The Workspaces team are looking for a Senior or Lead level (see “What our grades mean” below) designer with a qualification in service design (or a related discipline) to take on a challenge that promises to accelerate their design career. This role is a 2 year commitment to working in TechOps before the possibility to work in other parts of the business.
The Workspaces team are globally responsible for all aspects of office environments, hardware management and support for ThoughtWorks projects. As an embedded designer within the team you will be responsible for designing tools and services that will help ThoughtWorks scale the business and move towards a self-service model for thousands of employees.
This role would ideally suit Service Designers who have several years of experience but are looking for a new role that will stretch their skills, providing opportunities for global research and collaboration. A desire to travel and meet interesting people is a must.
Designers at ThoughtWorks come in all shapes and sizes but we insist on expertise in at least two of the following core competencies to ensure that we are able to adequately support the teams we work with and add value to the products and services we help to design.
Interaction design at ThoughtWorks focuses on creating engaging interfaces with well thought out behaviours that are the result of knowing the constraints and possibilities of technology.
Candidates must be able to:
- design diagrams and schematics to communicate Information flows and user journeys to colleagues, partners and client stakeholders
- create interactive design concepts from lightweight sketching through to interactive prototypes and working software
- show understanding of both user heuristics and common feature of software applications such as interactive form design, responsive user interfaces and device specific patterns
- plan content for interactive systems and develop effective use cases for the presentation and management of content to support business needs and user goals
User research at ThoughtWorks focuses on learning about user behaviours, needs, and motivations to understand the impact of design on an audience.
Candidates must be able to:
- plan recruitment for user research, understanding how to target specific groups of people and run effective interviews that involve the wider team
- organise workshops with different groups of participants in order to gather research material that can be used to inform design
- facilitate usability testing of prototypes and working software, both in person and remotely
- analyse findings from research and present back to different audiences, making actionable recommendations on behalf of end users where appropriate
Visual design at ThoughtWorks focuses on the invention and use of aesthetics to enhance usability and improve the user experience in a digital context.
Candidates must be able to:
- demonstrate how to effectively use the stylistic elements of brand and identity
- understand how to use visual media such as iconography, illustration and photography to increase the effectiveness of a design
- show a clear appreciation of graphic design principles such as layout, typography and information hierarchy
- appreciate the value of design patterns/systems and how to make use of them in an organisational context
Consulting at ThoughtWorks involves using your individual influence and expertise to help identify and solve problems both for stakeholders and for your team. This role will provide you with the opportunity to shape your consulting skills within the TechOps team.
Desirable skills for candidates include:
- relevant domain knowledge acquired in a particular business context - e.g. retail, financial services, public sector - or in a specialised design context - e.g. service design, content strategy, digital product design
- strong interpersonal skills - active listening, persuading and empathising with others
- ability to build trusted relationships with others, give and receive feedback and suggest alternative points of view
- professional and ethical approach to design work, not taking things personally and behaving honestly
To apply please submit your CV and tell us why you want to join ThoughtWorks. One of our recruiters will be in touch.
We proudly, passionately and actively strive to make both ThoughtWorks and our industry more representative of the communities we serve. We promote diversity in all its forms and reject discrimination and inequality.
Our diversity and award winning culture inspires our thought leaders and serves to nurture and develop amazing ideas. We believe this makes us a world leading destination of choice for all technologists.
What our grades mean
At graduate level, you are just starting out in your design career with limited experience. You may have just graduated or switched careers. We will expect you to learn the ropes fast and practice your core skills but we won’t leave you unsupported. You will work alongside a more experienced designer to help you gain hands on experience.
At consultant level, we expect you to have some industry experience under your belt. Having worked in a design role for a few years you will have some demonstrable examples of the contributions you have made. You will have developed an understanding of where your core competencies are and where you would like to improve. We expect you to be able to work with some degree of independence but will look to pair you up with more experienced designers where possible so that you can find opportunities to develop your skills.
At senior level, we expect you to have built up a strong and varied portfolio of work over several years, ideally across a range of domains and opportunities, that show us where your competencies lie. We would look to assign you a more experienced mentor from the design community but you should be able to work unsupported and be able to make a solid contribution to your team from day one. You will also be expected to persuade non-designers and stakeholders of the value of design and demonstrate proven methods and techniques that you have experienced success with. You will also be expected to be an active member of the design community, showcasing your work and supporting less experienced designers.
At lead level, you will be a seasoned design practitioner with an established career path and connections within the broader design community. You will have experience of managing the work of other designers and more importantly, teaching what you have learned. You should be able to lead a team so it’s essential that you understand non-design roles and how to get the most from your team as a whole. You will routinely engage with the most senior client stakeholders as well as ThoughtWorks leadership so you must be able to present your thoughts and opinions with clarity and confidence. We will expect you to be take responsibility for the professional development of other designers either directly as a mentor or through your contributions to the design community.
At principal level, you will have a well-established reputation for doing great work and be responsible for actively contributing to ThoughtWorks reputation as a business. You will be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of design and examples of work that have resulted in demonstrable business outcomes for the clients you have worked with. You will be able to act as an ambassador for design, whether this is through actively pursuing design-led opportunities with that result in new business for ThoughtWorks or by becoming a trusted advisor to our most senior partners.