ThoughtWorks is helping organisations with ambitious goals change the way they use data and how they build technology in support. This might involve event-driven architecture, continuous delivery of analytics and data science, and prototyping new products and technologies. We are looking for experienced Data Engineers who craft large-scale data processing systems to help manage clients’ ever-growing information.
As a Data Engineer, you will develop modern data architectural approaches to meet key business objectives and provide end to end data solutions. You might spend a few weeks with a new client on a deep technical review or a complete organizational review, helping them to understand the potential that data brings to solve their most pressing problems.
Some of our recent data projects have been:
- providing technical recommendations with respect to a data architecture strategy
- delivering an EMR pipeline to determine which ads to show based on a customer segment using Hadoop Streaming to implement MR jobs in Ruby
- providing a technical assessment and recommendation for a cloud-hosted data analytics platform.
On other projects, you might be acting as the architect, leading the design of technical solutions, or perhaps overseeing a program inception to build a new product. It could also be a software delivery project where you're equally happy coding and tech-leading the team to implement the solution.
As a ThoughtWorks’ consultant, you proactively seek out relationships with our new business team and work collaboratively to support pre-sales, meet prospective clients and ultimately influence and shape our portfolio of work. You recognize that building your network with a client is absolutely key to enable you to perform in your role. You'll be drawing on all of your passion for technology, hands-on experience and knowledge of latest Big Data and Engineering best practices to help you gain the respect and credibility of those around you.
- Deep understanding and application of modern data processing technology stacks. For example Spark, Hadoop ecosystem technologies, Flink, and others
- Deep understanding of streaming data architectures and technologies for real-time and low-latency data processing such as Kafka, Kinesis, Beam, EventHub, and Dataflow
- Deep understanding of persistence technologies including column family, graph, document, and key-value data storage technologies including Apache Cassandra, Google Bigtable, Hive, HBase
- Knowledge of Serverless Compute technologies such as Lambda, Azure Functions, Google Cloud Functions
- Understanding of how to architect solutions for data science and analytics such as productionizing machine learning models and collaborating with data scientists
- Background in software development, particularly hands-on in coding, architecting and delivering complex projects
- Understanding of agile development methods including: core values, guiding principles, and key agile practices, application of Continuous Integration/Delivery, and quality coding practices (TDD, SOLID, DRY, YAGNI).
- A rich breadth of industry experience and background working across different organizations, ranging in size, from start-ups to large corporations.
- Strong stakeholder management and interaction experience at different levels
ThoughtWorks is a global technology and digital transformation consultancy. We are a community of passionate individuals who share a common purpose to revolutionize software design, creation and delivery, while advocating for positive social change. We help organisations challenge the status quo and create meaningful, scalable differentiation at speed through technology and design. We love to get better at what we do, at how we think. We love to learn. We love to share.
We are community that nurtures and celebrates talent, irrespective of gender, background and any bias. Diversity is in our DNA and is a core part of our culture. The decisions we make as a business revolve around inclusivity and equality. We are honored to have been awarded as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality and are proud to say that 48% of ThoughtWorks Australia identify as women, in an industry where the norm is much lower. Respect, continuous feedback and a non-hierarchical structure are all an important part of our culture. As ThoughtWorkers, we have equal opportunities to grow, share our ideas and even re-invent ourselves.
What's on offer
ThoughtWorks offers a community-oriented environment centred around learning, sharing, growing and feedback. All ThoughtWorkers receive an annual professional development allowance to attend conferences, courses, workshops and to purchase books. Our large network of mentors and coaches provide a supportive environment to connect with the ThoughtWorks' community, as well as the opportunity to develop professionally and personally.
Other benefits include a generous paid parental leave package, a communications allowance, free and discounted tickets to major industry conferences, and catered Friday lunches as a chance to connect with each other each week.
If you’d like to find your home in tech at ThoughtWorks, please apply.