15 month full time maternity cover position
ThoughtWorks is not your average or typical company; so don’t expect to find average people working here. ThoughtWorks is a growing technology consultancy with an enviable track record of delivering real business value. Talented, driven and principled
people have been brought together because they want to do amazing work for our clients. Those clients include businesses of varying sizes in a variety of sectors - retail, transport, public sector, financial services, etc. One of our core pillars is to revolutionize the way the industry works by improving society through software.
Do you want to be an important part of our dynamic in-house legal department in the UK and a part of our extended multi-national legal team with colleagues in Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Germany, India, Singapore and the USA? Do you want to work in an informal environment that values people over process and that will allow you to gain a bird’s eye view of the technological transformation of our world?
We are looking for a self-motivated lawyer who brings a pragmatic, business partner approach to legal advice. You will be based in London or Manchester with an expectation that you will travel from time to time as dictated by business needs.
It is important that you have the following competencies:
1. Service orientated. Proactive in anticipating the needs of ThoughtWorkers and a committed to delivering highly responsive service.
2. Ambiguity. Undeterred by ambiguity, uncertainty and limited resources. Able to hold many different possibilities and conflicting viewpoints in mind and devise a solution. Envisions what is possible, and then implements a solution.
3. Communication. Proactive communicator. Can easily build credibility and trust across a wide range of people.
4. Resilient. Personal and professional resilience. Can accept mistakes and handle conflict.
5. Team Work. Intuitively collaborative and able to work with all kinds of people. Leads by example. Willing to step in and do what is needed as necessary. Low ego.
6. Sense of Urgency and Ownership. Has a strong desire to be proactive and innovative, and a commitment to owning challenging issues and solving them.
As an ideal candidate you will:
● Be admitted to practice law in England and Wales with 4-6 years PQE
● Have extensive experience with an in-house legal department of a professional services or technology firm reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements (NDAs, MSAs, supplier/procurement agreements, etc.)
● Have experience advising on IP matters
● Exposure to, and interest in developing expertise to advise on data protection issues is highly valued
● Some experience advising business with regard to employment issues is beneficial
● Have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
● Exhibit solid analytical and business judgment skills
● Finally, have an ability to:
● Work well with others while also working independently
● Prioritize rigorously
● Work well under pressure and make sound decisions informed by the law and business considerations
● Handle confidential matters professionally