Our developers have been contributing code to major organizations and open source projects for over 25 years now. They’ve also been writing books, speaking at conferences, and helping push software development forward -- changing companies and even industries along the way.
As consultants, we work on-site with our clients to ensure we’re delivering the best possible solution. Our Senior Consultant Developers play an important role in leading these projects to success.
Curious what it takes for this developer role at ThoughtWorks? A Senior Consultant is :
- Able to lead development efforts for new features while maintaining high standards for code quality
- Able to strategically lead a project team to successful delivery
- Excited to mentor, influence and lead a team of ThoughtWorkers and clients
- An expert in at least one language or domain, and maybe in 2 or more
We believe that to flourish in this role, you're good at:
- Understanding and often playing a major part in the entire cycle of software consulting and delivery, from ideation, to project conception, to UX, to code, to testing, to deployment, and around again.
- Agile. We believe strongly in agile delivery practices, having implemented them for ourselves and our clients for a long time now. You should be very comfortable working with Agile, Lean and Continuous Delivery practices -- and love it as much as we do.
- Mentoring a team and bringing them up to speed on new languages and skills. We all learn from each other, but with the breadth of technical experience you’ll bring to the table, you’ll be an invaluable teacher to your less-experienced peers.
- Thinking big and acting fast. You’ll need a startup mentality with enterprise awareness. That means you can manage competing priorities, that you’re ready to pivot or adjust plans quickly, and that you understand the role you and your team play in major organizations’ tech strategies.
- Influencing priorities, for both the team and the client. You understand both the business problem and the technical solution, and you’re able to advocate for excellence and effect change when necessary.
- Finesse. As consultants, we navigate within our client’s organizations to influence big decision makers and win trust. In this job, you’ll be using your people skills as much as your coding skills.
And here’s some of the perks of being part of a unique organization like ThoughtWorks.
- A real commitment to “changing the face of IT” -- our way of thinking about diversity and inclusion. Over the past ten years, we’ve implemented a lot of initiatives to make ThoughtWorks a place that reflects the world around us, and to make this a welcoming home to technologists of all stripes. We’re not perfect, but we’re actively working towards true gender balance for our business and our industry, and you’ll see that diversity reflected on our project teams and in offices.
- Continuous learning. You’ll be constantly exposed to new languages, frameworks and ideas from your peers and as you work on different projects -- challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
- No pigeon-holing: at ThoughtWorks, there’s no applying to new roles. With time, you’ll build trust and credibility and move easily into new roles if you’re inclined, like trying out life in a QA or BA’s shoes.
- Support to grow as a technologist outside of your role at ThoughtWorks. This is why ThoughtWorkers have written over 100 books and can be found speaking at tech conferences all over the world. We love to learn and share knowledge, and you’ll find a community of passionate technologists eager to back your endeavors, whatever they may be. You’ll also receive financial support to attend conferences every year.
- An organizational commitment to social responsibility. ThoughtWorkers challenge each other to be just a little more thoughtful about the world around us, and you'll find a community of individuals passionate about a wide variety of topics, whether it's tech or social justice.
A few important things to know:
- Applicants must have the legal right to work in Canada;
- Residing in the Greater Toronto area is required to ensure successful client service. If you live elsewhere, we'll work with you to find a home base for relocation.