How would you make your mark if you knew you could influence beyond your current projects?
How would you leverage your technical expertise to create extraordinary impact for our clients?
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
Our developers have been contributing code to major organizations and open source projects for over 25 years. They’ve also been writing books, speaking at conferences and helping push software development forward, changing companies and even industries along the way. We passionately believe that software quality is driven by open communication, review and collaboration. That's why we're such vehement supporters of open source and have made significant contributions to open source tools for testing, continuous delivery (GoCD), continuous integration (CruiseControl), machine learning and healthcare.
As consultants, we work onsite with our clients to ensure we’re evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, build a bold new mobile application for a bank or redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines. You will use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
Lead Consultant Developers act as the primary point of contact for our clients, ensuring that teams are successful in their delivery. As a Lead Consultant Developer, you will bring a strategic mindset to projects and spend time negotiating with clients in order to bring a technical vision to life. Having a balance of high-level and tactical mindsets is a must, as you will spend time both with clients and alongside your fellow teammates.
For a team to thrive, it needs active collaboration and room for healthy, respectful debate. Senior Developers are the technologists who cultivate this environment while driving teams toward delivering on an ambitious tech vision and acting as mentors for more junior-level consultants. They leverage their deep technical knowledge to solve more complex business problems and actively assess their team’s health, code quality and nonfunctional pipelines.
Examples of some of our current/recent projects:
- High-priority national Smart Nation projects with the Singapore Government developed in native/hybrid Android and iOS & other web technologies
- Working with Micro-frontends and Event Driven Architecture with our banking clients (GraphQL, Kafka, Kotlin, ReactJS etc.)
- Replatforming existing systems to a microservices approach and building custom applications, while consulting our clients on their vision and product strategy.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will lead or take part in the entire cycle of software consulting and delivery from ideation to deployment and everything in between
- You will act as a mentor for less-experienced peers through both your technical knowledge and leadership skills
- You will design solutions and choose technologies that solve clients’ problems while staying within constraints
- You will use continuous delivery practices to deliver high-quality software as well as value to end customers as early as possible.
- You will work in collaborative, value-driven teams to build innovative customer experiences for our clients
- Create large-scale distributed systems out of microservices
- Efficiently utilize DevOps tools and practices to build and deploy software
- Utilize the latest technology thinking from our tech radar in your work
- Apply a variety of languages to your work and continue to code alongside Developers; you will never go post-technical in this role
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have led software development teams using Agile, Lean and/or Continuous Delivery approaches such as TDD, continuous integration, pairing, and infrastructure automation - We utilise Extreme Programming (XP)
- You can skilfully write high-quality, well-tested code and you are comfortable with Object-Oriented programming
- You have experience influencing others and always advocate for technical excellence while being open to change when needed
- The ability to develop and execute a technical vision with a focus on business value
- You’re resilient in ambiguous situations and can approach challenges from multiple perspectives
- We would love if you’re up to speed on functional programming paradigms and languages like Clojure, Scala, etc.
- Presence in the external tech community: you proactively share your expertise with others via speaking engagements, contributions to open source, blogs and more
- Bonus points if you have knowledge of cloud technology such as AWS, Docker or Kubernetes
- You’re willing and able to commit to travel to client sites in order to solve their business problems
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you?
That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (tick 'contact me about recruitment opportunities' to hear about jobs in the future).
At ThoughtWorks, we’re committed to fostering an inclusive community for all technologists. Help us achieve a more balanced workplace by anonymously answering a couple of demographic questions when you apply.