At ThoughtWorks, we are dedicated to the art of software delivery, by keeping it lightweight, agile and open-source. Our clients are organisations with ambitious missions, where we deliver complex enterprise systems to help them solve their toughest business problems.
Our Principal Technologists play an important role in the consulting organisation, helping shape the client portfolio while influencing and transforming large enterprise organisations into digital businesses. Principals also mentor and guide our development community to drive the growth of ThoughtWorks’ internal capabilities.
As a Principal Technologist at ThoughtWorks you may fit into one of three roles. Perhaps you are a Coding Architect and enjoy bringing hands-on best coding practices knowledge to the team, while helping get a delivery project up and running. Maybe you are a Tech Lead or a Tech Manager educating large enterprises on evolutionary architecture and forward-thinking software delivery practices to create the change we want to see in the industry. ThoughtWorks Principals have gone on to become CTOs, CIOs and leaders within the tech industry.
Your Skills and knowledge
- Recent hands-on software development and infrastructure architecture experience in designing and architecting enterprise web applications
- Solid understanding of the practical application of agile development methods and leading software development teams in an agile/lean/continuous delivery environment
- Experience leading and inspiring software development teams
- Passion for advocating and teaching clean coding practices, a test-driven approach, and concepts such as SOLID, DRY, YAGNI
- Understanding of the issues businesses face and experience working with them to create robust, scalable, elegant, flexible and relevant software solutions that truly transform industries
- Experience working directly with senior IT groups in an advisory role
- Experience working with CTO/COO to create technical strategies
What you will do
- Take the needs and challenges of a client and formulate a technical roadmap and technology solution that will support their business strategies and goals.
- Provide Technical leadership across all areas of the enterprise, to ensure delivery of exceptional technical solutions
- Formulate and articulate the technical and political implication of real world solutions
- Orchestrate the management of technology scope and risks
- Mentor on approach and execution of solutions, coach on technologies and establishing a team wide comprehension of solution capabilities and direction
- Ensure technical expectations of deliverables are met
- Drive ThoughtWorks’ Thought-Leadership on engineering and architectural practices and standards
- Become a trusted and valued partner of the client CIO/CTO and team
- Create opportunities for networking and relationship building that arise out of delivery activities
There's no typical day or engagement for our Principal Consultants. You might spend a few weeks with a new client or be full-time on delivery project for 12 months. It's varied and you thrive on these different challenges.
Find out more about what we are up to from our recent findings from the Agile Australia event, and check out this video to learn more about life as a Principal Technologist.
ThoughtWorks is a global technology and digital transformation consultancy. We are a community of passionate individuals who share a common purpose to revolutionize software design, creation and delivery, while advocating for positive social change. We help organisations challenge the status quo and create meaningful, scalable differentiation at speed through technology and design. We love to get better at what we do, at how we think. We love to learn. We love to share.
We are community that nurtures and celebrates talent, irrespective of gender, background and any bias. Diversity is in our DNA and is a core part of our culture. The decisions we make as a business revolve around inclusivity and equality. We are honored to have been awarded as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality and are proud to say that 48% of ThoughtWorks Australia identify as women, in an industry where the norm is much lower. Respect, continuous feedback and a non-hierarchical structure are all an important part of our culture. As ThoughtWorkers, we have equal opportunities to grow, share our ideas and even re-invent ourselves.
What's on offer
ThoughtWorks offers a community-oriented environment centred around learning, sharing, growing and feedback. All ThoughtWorkers receive an annual professional development allowance to attend conferences, courses, workshops and to purchase books. Our large network of mentors and coaches provide a supportive environment to connect with the ThoughtWorks' community, as well as the opportunity to develop professionally and personally.
Other benefits include a generous paid parental leave package, a communications allowance, free and discounted tickets to major industry conferences, and catered Friday lunches as a chance to connect with each other each week.
If you’d like to find your home in tech at ThoughtWorks, please apply.