Are you able to simultaneously see the big picture while understanding the minutiae of a project? Do you excel when you need to switch between business and technical context?
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
Our developers have been contributing code to major organizations and open source projects for over 25 years. They’ve also been writing books, speaking at conferences and helping push software development forward, changing companies and even industries along the way.
As consultants, we work with our clients to ensure we’re evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, build a bold new mobile application for a bank or redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines. You will learn to use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
We’re looking for a 8+ Years ‘Database Specialist’’ who is looking for a challenging opportunity to deal with a complex SQL Server database(s).
We expect this Agile Database Specialist *not* to only do functionality development in Sql Server and keep the database up and running. We expect you to participate in the project in a whole different way and to have a strong customer service focus to support the client.
If you like to…
- Own the Data Layer: understand which technologies are being used and how the code is talking to the database. We expect you to challenge the tech lead/architect on application interaction design with the database
- Strive for clean database design: make sure all conventions are being followed (like Primary Key constraints, Foreign Key constraints, Indexes, Physical design, etc) and talk about the pros and cons of different data model options with any given requirement;
- Own database performance: performance test the database, have multiple ideas on how to generate load on the database/application;
- Own relationship with client database team: interact with the client data team and thoroughly understand their requirements about database design and deployment scripts, making sure TW team understands it;
- Get involved in application design: read code and make changes when needed, be able to talk to developers in Objects and point at code what they think is not going to be best for the database;
- Follow edge development practices: know how to use version control for all database, be able to drive database changes by means of development practices such as testing, Refactoring and Continuous Integration; create deployment scripts for database upgrade and know about open source tools for database deployment; pair with developers.
- Understand deployment environment: know about different solutions to deploy the database software, as well as different hardware options and what database solution would be good for any given application being developed. Understanding of RAIDs, SANs, SSD’s, caching and Indexing engines is definitely a plus;
- Debug and fix problems: help troubleshoot and resolve database related problems (e.g. deadlocks) and be able to tune the database/application to improve performance.
If this sounds like the sort of thing you are looking for and you have 8+ yrs of experience, we should be speaking. Our application process will assess your passion, technical skills and culture fitment.
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you?
That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (tick 'contact me about recruitment opportunities' to hear about jobs in the future).