At ThoughtWorks, we are dedicated to the art of software delivery, by keeping it lightweight, agile and open-source. Our clients are organisations with ambitious missions, where we deliver complex enterprise systems to help them solve their toughest business problems.
Our Principal Technologists play an important role in the consulting organisation, helping shape the client portfolio while influencing and transforming large enterprise organisations into digital businesses. Principals also mentor and guide our development community to drive the growth of ThoughtWorks’ internal capabilities.
As a Principal Technologist at ThoughtWorks you may fit into one of three roles. Perhaps you are a Coding Architect and enjoy bringing hands-on best coding practices knowledge to the team, while helping get a delivery project up and running. Maybe you are a Tech Lead or a Tech Manager educating large enterprises on evolutionary architecture and forward-thinking software delivery practices to create the change we want to see in the industry. ThoughtWorks Principals have gone on to become CTOs, CIOs and leaders within the tech industry.
Your Skills and knowledge
- Recent hands-on software development and infrastructure architecture experience in designing and architecting enterprise web applications
- Solid understanding of the practical application of agile development methods and leading software development teams in an agile/lean/continuous delivery environment
- Experience leading and inspiring software development teams
- Passion for advocating and teaching clean coding practices, a test-driven approach, and concepts such as SOLID, DRY, YAGNI
- Understanding of the issues businesses face and experience working with them to create robust, scalable, elegant, flexible and relevant software solutions that truly transform industries
- Experience working directly with senior IT groups in an advisory role
- Experience working with CTO/COO to create technical strategies
What you will do
- Take the needs and challenges of a client and formulate a technical roadmap and technology solution that will support their business strategies and goals.
- Provide Technical leadership across all areas of the enterprise, to ensure delivery of exceptional technical solutions
- Formulate and articulate the technical and political implication of real world solutions
- Orchestrate the management of technology scope and risks
- Mentor on approach and execution of solutions, coach on technologies and establishing a team wide comprehension of solution capabilities and direction
- Ensure technical expectations of deliverables are met
- Drive ThoughtWorks’ Thought-Leadership on engineering and architectural practices and standards
- Become a trusted and valued partner of the client CIO/CTO and team
- Create opportunities for networking and relationship building that arise out of delivery activities
There's no typical day or engagement for our Principal Consultants. You might spend a few weeks with a new client or be full-time on delivery project for 12 months. It's varied and you thrive on these different challenges.
Find out more about what we are up to from our recent findings from the Agile Australia event, and check out this video to learn more about life as a Principal Technologist.
We employ an autonomous, self-management work culture, with very little hierarchy. This approach encourages people to take ownership and accountability, and to be curious. It requires a "trust first" attitude, which supports a creative mindset and promotes innovation through disruptive thinking.
If you haven't got a CV updated, that's no problem. We understand that you've probably got more interesting things to do! Please provide a link to any websites or online profiles you want us to take a look at and simply upload a document that lists the top three things you think we should know about you. You can upload this info in a document via the CV / Resume link.