At the heart of ThoughtWorks project management is an understanding that it should be collaborative, communicative, and focused on outcomes and that ongoing communication and collaboration with the client is the best way to achieve those outcomes. Building a solid client and team relationship with honesty, regular communication, and visibility into what's really happening on the project helps build shared ownership of the project. This results in a shared effort to manage and mitigate risks and issues and keep the project moving forward in the right direction.
As a Project Manager, here’s what you can do at ThoughtWorks
- Be part of the organization that has been doing Agile Project Management longer than any other organization
- Innovate and lead the industry on thinking on how successful projects are managed and structured and with luminaries like Jim Highsmith and Martin Fowler at the helm of new thinking in Enterprise Agile transformation, Lean, and Continuous Delivery
- Partner with clients to formulate and deliver exceptional business value through process change and software delivery
- Support and inspire incredibly talented delivery teams
- Orchestrate the design and building of critical and complex custom-designed, multi-tier, business applications that use a wide range of the very latest technologies
- Mentor and evangelize Agile, Lean, and Continuous Delivery best practices
- Work in an informal, collaborative, transparent, non-hierarchal, ego-free culture where your talent is valued over a role title
- Develop your career outside of the confinements of a traditional career path by focusing on what you are passionate about rather than a predetermined one-size-fits-all plan
- Shape the future of ThoughtWorks by leading and/or contributing to communities within ThoughtWorks
- Freely voice your ideas and views as part of continuous open and passionate debate on every topic from the merits of CoffeeScript to Cucumber
- Be a part of an organization that is as committed to social responsibility as it is to technology and innovation
Here’s what you’ll bring:
- A broad enterprise-wide view and understanding of business processes and drivers
- 3+ years experience in managing software delivery projects
- 10+ years experience in systems analysis on development of new and replacement application projects
- Understanding of the issues businesses face and experience working with them to create robust, scalable, elegant, flexible and relevant software solutions that truly transform industries
- An understanding of traditional development approaches, and the ability to compare and contrast benefits of each
- Experience with, or knowledge of, Agile Delivery Methodology (Scrum and XP) and helping teams explore, adopt and optimize Agile-Lean processes, principles and practices
- A disruptive attitude towards technology innovation
- Collaborative and un-hierarchical work style. (Not sure if that’s you? Ask yourself how easy do people find it to work with you.)
- A willingness to do what it takes to get the job done. So whether that means going back to the drawing board with a problem or simply taking on different roles and responsibilities for a time, you thrive at adapting to changing environments.
Our PM practices attempt to be as lightweight as possible, and as agile as possible (lightweight and agile are not the same thing!). Constant evolvement of best practices means we continue to learn as we go, but the general activities and responsibilities of a Project Manager stay fairly constant.
- Work with our clients to understand their needs and challenges and help to formulate the delivery road map and project plans required to support their business strategies and goals.
- Understanding and communicating project vision, objectives, scope and priorities to teams
- Building a collaborative relationship with client stakeholders to collaboratively identify and mitigate risks
- Tracking project status and progress, to provide this visibility to the client and the team
- Removing obstacles (e.g. hardware, tools, resource constraints)
- Managing budget and tracking to actuals with regular reporting to the client
- Managing invoice payments and time & expenses
- Ensuring non development activities such as usability testing, data conversions, deployment plans, etc, are planned for and managed
- Project onboarding for new teams and team members
- Project ramp down and offboarding, including project retrospective and lessons learned
- Formulate and manage release & delivery plans
- Look after the day-to-day well-being of your team – including maintaining a healthy team snack box!
- Build positive team dynamics and relationships between ThoughtWorks and client staff; remedying any dysfunction, to maintain a healthy and productive ThoughtWorks community when at a client site.
- Maintain, and deepen where possible, existing client relationships to yield continuing opportunities for ThoughtWorks.
- Capture innovations, lessons learned and successes on projects and share them with the wider ThoughtWorks community