- Providing ThoughtWorkers (our employees) with the software they need when they need it. Our people need a lot of software. We own licenses for hundreds of software titles.
- Reclaiming unused licenses to optimize software costs.
- Staying compliant with vendor licensing terms and keeping 100% accurate records.
- Welcoming new hires, notifying license holders about upgrades, and sending other comms to larger audiences, etc
- Improving how we do things – always. This job is very much about improving this job. How can we provide a better service? How can we rethink “business as usual” to focus more on higher value outcomes?
Who is the customer? This is a role in our internal IT department, serving the needs of our people, not our external customers.
- A great communicator, with a very friendly online personality. You’d have a lot of contact with ThoughtWorkers everyday, so that should be something you really enjoy.
- Obsessive attention to detail -- for the sake of our friends in Finance and our compliance records
- Pride in a timely and super helpful service
- Ability to work well in a distributed team environment
- Ability to learn, including on your own
- Creativity and desire to improve our service
The stakes are high. If our consultants don’t get the right software at the right time, client work would suffer. If we don’t optimize costs, we’d not be running the business sustainably. If we aren’t compliant, we not only risk fines but also our company’s reputation as a trusted and responsible partner.
But who says you can’t do serious work with personality? Do you thrive on conversations with other people? Are you always careful to make your online interactions friendly, empathetic and fun? GIFs? Memes? Emojis? Yes, we use them! That’s what this job requires because that’s how we build trust and camaraderie.
You would be part of a small, lively, and globally distributed team known as SLAM (Software Licensing And More). To quote one of our satisfied customers, “The SLAM team is the single most awesome team in the world.” We try not to let such feedback go to our heads! Actually, such feedback motivates us to maintain our high standards and keep our personality. SLAM is part of our internal IT organization known as TechOps.
Have you ever worked remotely from your team members? We all work in different locations. We live on chat, email, and video conferencing. ThoughtWorks spans the globe with people working in over 14 countries. Our team is distributed because ThoughtWorkers are distributed. That doesn’t mean you’d be required to travel. We do travel, however, when it is important to bring the team together face-to-face, which we’ve typically done once a year. There might be other travel opportunities depending on any improvement projects you’re participating in.
Does this all sound like a challenge? It is! There’s never a dull day and always lots to learn. Throughout, we have a lot of laughs -- both as a team and with so many great ThoughtWorkers.
Career Growth Opportunities
Across the SLAM team, there is a wide range of skills required, most of which are transferable to other types of work. You will have plenty of opportunities to learn from other Slammers. You will also be able to learn by collaborating with others in our internal IT organization. Through such collaboration, you might become interested in other areas of IT. You would be free to take initiative provided your SLAM responsibilities were covered. Beyond TechOps, there are many ThoughtWorks forums and events in which you could participate, from software delivery and IoT to social justice and diversity.
At ThoughtWorks, we support the growth of our people but we also expect you to take initiative and jump at opportunities.