Do you thrive on championing delivery excellence that realizes a client's vision?
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
Our developers have been contributing code to major organizations and open source projects for over 25 years. They’ve also been writing books, speaking at conferences and helping push software development forward, changing companies and even industries along the way. We passionately believe that software quality is driven by open communication, review and collaboration. That’s why we’re such vehement supporters of open source and have made significant contributions to open source tools for testing, continuous delivery (GoCD), continuous integration (CruiseControl), machine learning and healthcare.
As consultants, we work with our clients to ensure we’re evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, build a bold new mobile application for a bank or redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines. You will use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
As a Principal Developer, you will provide strategic and tactical leadership on accounts, establishing and maintaining trusted advisor status through high-impact client interaction. By empowering ThoughtWorker engagement through cultivating high-performing teams, you will continuously deliver undeniable value to our clients, contributing to the growth and scale of our evolving business. Ultimately, the health of an account is a reflection of the capability and efficiency that you as a Principal Developer cultivate.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will act as a trusted advisor to your client by building key relationships and understanding the market and trends that could impact them
- You will assess client needs and develop the account strategy and proactive proposals needed to deliver value to our client
- Speak to the value of our delivery and how it maps to client vision, goals, and initiatives
- Continuously deliver undeniable value by ensuring the high performance of ThoughtWorks teams on the account and proactively manage risk with the client
- Cultivate ThoughtWorker growth and development by encouraging feedback and fostering an inclusive, supportive team culture
- Oversee contracts, SOWs, negotiations, and billing rates
- Maintain healthy levels of Client Gross Margin (CGM), Days Sales Outstanding (DSO) and travel leakage
- Ensure security, privacy, and legal compliance across the account
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have significant technical experience (15+ years) and a thorough understanding of different architectures, tools & languages
- You have a rich breadth of experience and are equally comfortable talking financial projections or business process modelling as you are advocating for TDD
- You have experience with languages such as Core Java, Java EE, C#, Ruby on Rails,Android, iOS, Python, Scala or Clojure.
- You really understand the business context of the challenges that organisations face and distinguish yourself in the way you articulate this with clients to create and deliver robust, scalable, elegant, flexible and relevant software solutions that truly transform industries
- You’re resilient in ambiguous situations and can adapt your role in order to approach challenges from multiple perspectives. You don’t shy away from risks, instead, you take them on and skillfully manage them
- Empathy comes naturally to you and you use it to build solid working relationships and resolve issues quickly and thoughtfully
- You have a track record of managing the scope and shape of programs of work
- You have experience with account management, third party contractual agreements, client management & pre-sales, client reporting, and up-selling
- You’re comfortable chairing meetings, conducting reports, providing technical sales support, and keeping budgets in check