Thoughtworks is a pioneer in integrating experience design with agile software delivery. Our designers work on multi-disciplinary teams that balance the thinking required to understand complex problems with the discipline needed to get high-quality working software into the hands of our clients and customers. Designers at Thoughtworks creatively solve the right problems. We work collaboratively to deliver bespoke software and take on the most challenging problems our clients have.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Customer Experience, Product and Design service line within Thoughtworks UK. As a design consultant with expertise in Visual Design, you will be involved in working with our brand to create winning proposals and pitches, helping to design concepts for new digital products and services that enhance our reputation as technology experts and supporting the overall quality of design work on client engagements.
At the senior level, we expect you to have built a strong and varied portfolio of work over several years, ideally across a range of domains and opportunities, that show us where your competencies lie. We would look to assign you a more experienced mentor from the design community but you should be able to work unsupported and be able to make a solid contribution to your team from day one. You will also be expected to persuade non-designers and client stakeholders of the value of design and demonstrate proven methods and techniques that you have experienced success with. You will also be expected to be an active member of the design community, showcasing your work and supporting less experienced designers.
Designers at Thoughtworks come in all shapes and sizes but we insist on the following core competencies to ensure that we are able to adequately support the teams we work with and add value to the products and services we help to design.
- Visual design skills: Visual design at Thoughtworks focuses on the invention and use of aesthetics to enhance usability and improve the user experience in a digital context
- Demonstrate how to effectively use the stylistic elements of brand and identity
- understand how to use visual media such as iconography, illustration and photography to increase the effectiveness of a design
- Show a clear appreciation of graphic design principles such as layout, typography and information hierarchy
- Appreciate the value of design patterns/systems and how to make use of them in an organisational context
- Think creatively to produce new ideas and concepts
- Confident communicator who can explain the thinking behind design concepts and presenting finalised ideas to our internal stakeholders
- Interaction design skills: Interaction design at Thoughtworks focuses on creating engaging interfaces with well thought out behaviours that are the result of knowing the constraints and possibilities of technology
- Design diagrams and schematics to communicate Information flows and user journeys to colleagues, partners and client stakeholders
- Create interactive design concepts from lightweight sketching through to interactive prototypes and working software
- Show understanding of both user heuristics and common feature of software applications such as interactive form design, responsive user interfaces and device specific patterns
- Plan content for interactive systems and develop effective use cases for the presentation and management of content to support business needs and user goal
- Consulting skills (desirable): Consulting at Thoughtworks involves using your individual influence and expertise to help identify and solve problems both for clients and for your team
- Strong interpersonal skills - active listening, persuading and empathising with others, outstanding written and verbal communication, and the ability to formulate and deliver insights around complex business problems in a thoughtful and persuasive manner
- Ability to build trusted relationships with others, give and receive feedback and suggest alternative points of view
- Ability to engage with senior-stakeholders and work under ambiguity
As part of the application process, we'd love for you to submit a portfolio of published creatives that showcases your expertise.
There's no one-size-fits-all career path at Thoughtworks: however you want to develop your career is entirely up to you. But we also balance autonomy with the strength of our cultivation culture. This means your career is supported by interactive tools, numerous development programs and teammates who want to help you grow. We see value in helping each other be our best and that extends to empowering our employees in their career journeys.
We offer amazing benefits from the day you start including private medical insurance, travel insurance, income protection, critical illness, life assurance, pension scheme, personal development budget, 25 days holiday and a ride2work scheme.
We proudly, passionately and actively strive to make both Thoughtworks and our industry more representative of the communities we serve. We promote diversity in all its forms and reject discrimination and inequality. Our diversity and award winning culture inspires our thought leaders and serves to nurture and develop amazing ideas. We believe this makes us a world leading destination of choice for all technologists.
City: London, Manchester
Date Posted: 04-14-2022
Industry: Information Technology
Employment Type: Regular
Thoughtworks is a global technology consultancy that integrates strategy, design and engineering to drive digital innovation. For 28+ years, our clients have trusted our autonomous teams to build solutions that look past the obvious. Here, computer science grads come together with seasoned technologists, self-taught developers, midlife career changers and more to learn from and challenge each other. Career journeys flourish with the strength of our cultivation culture, which has won numerous awards around the world.
Join Thoughtworks and thrive. Together, our extra curiosity, innovation, passion and dedication overcomes ordinary.