Thoughtworks is a Nasdaq listed global technology consultancy that builds customer software applications to help digitally transform businesses. We think disruptively to deliver technology to address our clients’ toughest challenges, all while seeking to revolutionize the IT industry and create positive social change. We work with a range of clients from media though banking to NGOs. With offices in 17 countries and 42 cities (at last count!), we’re passionate global citizens, aiming to have a huge impact on the world.
This is a new position, the result of rapid growth of the organization and is an amazing opportunity to join the team in Spain. Thoughtworks is seeking a Controller to drive immediate impact with the monthly financial close process, cash flow management and rolling out internal controls. A successful applicant will have public accounting experience and will be expected to proactively identify risks and opportunities from an accounting point of view and work cross-functionally with members of the country and global finance teams to implement solutions.
This position will be based in Barcelona, and report to the Head of Business Finance – Spain, and work very closely with the Global Controllership team. The Spain Controller will also work closely with and directly monitor the work of the Finance Hub (Shared Service) Team(s) in Brazil.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Following globally established practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and audit(s) , adapting change to global processes to ensure adherence to accounting principles in Spain.
- Prepare monthly cash flow forecasts by working closely with your finance colleagues.
- Monitor Spain’s monthly cash flow; communicating with accounts payable to authorize cash outflows and communicating with accounts receivable to understand the timing of cash inflows for local Spanish clients.
- Being accountable for the Spain annual financial statement audit in accordance with Spanish accounting principles as well as the Spanish portion of the global consolidated parent company audit in accordance with US accounting principles, including facilitating audit readiness and responses to audit requests.
- Work closely with the Spain Head of Business Finance to understand monthly financial results compared to forecasts & plan and document explanations for global month-end review.
- Maintain and develop robust internal controls through a thorough balance sheet review each month and work with distributed shared service teams to ensure all material accounts are reconciled, approved and available for review by the Global Controllership team each month.
- Ensure the balance sheet is accurately stated each month with no material misstatements.
- Review transfer pricing calculations and manage intercompany payables and receivables.
- Manage the month-end process in Spain, including but not limited to: posting general ledger journal entries to PeopleSoft, account reconciliation, account reconciliation review, regional income statement review, and analytical comparisons to prior month, plan & forecast.
- Grow, educate, and provide direction to the Brazil Finance Hub (Shared Service) Team(s).
- Improve internal controls of Spain business by working cross-functionally across the business to prioritize business changes as necessary and at the direction of the Global Controllership team. Emphasis on revenue controls – contract checklists, client revenue narratives highlighting correct revenue recognition methods.
- Research complex accounting issues impacting the Spanish business.
- Monitor all tax obligations that the company needs to meet (SS, VAT, WTH, CIT, 232, 200, etc.).
- Being accountable for the R+D audit.
Here's what we are looking for:
- 2-3 years of Audit experience.
- Excellent communications skills with a friendly and upbeat attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Experience of implementing new business processes and reporting.
- Internal control knowledge.
- It’s a plus if you have public company experience or SOX compliance experience.
Thoughtworks has a full time remote policy, which states that any Thoughtworker will be able to work from home indefinitely anywhere in Spain. Due to COVID-19 our offices in Barcelona and Madrid are partially open to provide support to employees who require more space and facilities than they have at home. Once this situation improves and following government's recommendations, our offices will be fully opened for anyone who might be interested in working from the offices.
Please don't hesitate to speak with your recruiter about any requirements or concerns you may have.