Thoughtworks is a Nasdaq listed global software development and consulting company and a community of passionate, purpose-led individuals, with operations in around 50 offices locations in more than 15 countries. We think disruptively to deliver technology to address our clients' toughest challenges, while seeking to revolutionise the IT industry and create positive social change. A recipient of multiple Great to Work and Employer of Choice awards, we take pride in our inclusive and open culture. You can find more information on our website https://www.thoughtworks.com.
Thoughtworks is looking for a mid to senior level in-house legal counsel to join our collaborative APAC Legal Team. You will mainly support the Australia business, with opportunities to support our growing APAC and Global business. You will report directly to our Head of Legal APAC based out of Sydney, with a path to be the Australia Lead Counsel in one to two years’ time. We are a small legal team and you will have opportunities to work on a wide range of matters directly with key stakeholders, and have an impact quickly within our business. A flexible and hybrid working arrangement is supported for this role, and you can be based out of Sydney or Melbourne, with a strong preference for Sydney.
This is a generalist role, and you are expected to:
- Draft, review and negotiate various legal documents and contracts (e.g., NDAs, Master Service Agreements, Statements of Work, government RFPs and supplier agreements), where most of our clients are household names and major corporations
- Work closely with, and provide legal advice to the Demand, Finance, People and Data Protection teams on various matters
- Support the business in compliance, risk, contract and record management
- Keep track of legal developments in areas which will have impact on our operations, research and provide legal advice on various ad hoc matters and enquiries within our business
- Experience in drafting and negotiating contracts independently or with minimum supervision is a Must.
- Experience in technology contracts, technology related matters, intellectual property rights, and data protection is highly desirable
- Good research, analytical and critical thinking skills, and ability to make quick and sensible judgment, and provide pragmatic and balanced legal advice
- Great communication skills and ability to build effective relationships across internal and external teams
- A lawyer qualified in Australia, New Zealand, or another common law country with potential to be Australia qualified; you shall have around [4-6] years’ PQE, preferably with some experience from a reputable law firm and/or in-house legal team for MNC in Australia or another common law country.
- Someone who enjoys autonomy and creating your own path. You thrive in environments that are fast-paced and agile, which can also be ambiguous at times
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure, prioritise and manage workloads
- Curious, flexible, positive and proactive with a willingness to learn and take on different tasks
Other things to know
There is no one-size-fits-all career path at Thoughtworks: however you want to develop your career is entirely up to you. But we also balance autonomy with the strength of our cultivation culture. This means your career is supported by interactive tools, numerous development programs and teammates who want to help you grow. We see value in helping each other be our best and that extends to empowering our employees in their career journeys.
Date Posted: 08-11-2022
Industry: Information Technology
Employment Type: Regular
Thoughtworks is a global technology consultancy that integrates strategy, design and engineering to drive digital innovation. For 28+ years, our clients have trusted our autonomous teams to build solutions that look past the obvious. Here, computer science grads come together with seasoned technologists, self-taught developers, midlife career changers and more to learn from and challenge each other. Career journeys flourish with the strength of our cultivation culture, which has won numerous awards around the world.
Join Thoughtworks and thrive. Together, our extra curiosity, innovation, passion and dedication overcomes ordinary.