Atlanta, GA, United States, , USA
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
As consultants, we work with our clients to ensure we’re evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, build a bold new mobile application for a bank or redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines. You will learn to use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
The Market Technical Director partners with the Market Leadership Team to drive the overall market performance across a range of client industries and technologies. Market Technical Directors play a leading role in setting up a subset of market engagements, ensuring a healthy risk portfolio across the market, staffing and acting as success partners for senior technologists, and establishing a sense of community across the market. As a partner to the business, their success is measured by the success of the market.
In conjunction with the Demand, Service Line, Market, and Client Leadership teams, they drive and execute on the Go to Market strategy for the assigned market. They need to be able to represent technology to executives and our senior ThoughtWorkers to drive the best outcomes for our clients. They focus on strategically selling technology solutions and delivering value to clients within the market to enable ThoughtWorks to attract and retain clients and technical talent.
They shape the market technical culture and participate significantly in the entrepreneurial process of growing a market and running a healthy commercial business including but not limited to creation of the tech strategy, supporting operations and recruiting, team building and talent cultivation. They lead and support technologists who are serving clients within the Market, while demonstrating executive presence with high level client counterparts. Leveraging a deep understanding of our business and our clients, Market Tech Directors galvanize, connect and align talent with our Go to Market strategy and client needs.
Leadership is a continual balancing act between demand, delivery and talent depending on the needs of the business. Understanding and making strategic trade-offs across these areas is key.
- Provide input to, and execute the North America technical and market business strategies.
- Work with Service Lines and other regional and global services to apply services to the local market.
- Support the demand organization in business development pursuits and technology solutions that allow us to attract and retain clients and technologists.
- Collaborate and share best practices across Markets and Service Lines.
- Actively build and leverage a professional network in the local tech community.
Evolve the Discipline
- Provide Technology solution oversight and leadership on existing client engagements.
- Build trusted relationships with senior client technology leaders on key focus accounts.
- Lead the resolution of client/account escalations in the technology organisation.
- Work with delivery and Service Line leadership to implement processes and technology that support business value and efficiency across business and technical teams.
- Accountable for resolving staffing conflicts for senior technologists, and provides ongoing support for staffing to ensure we have the right technical leaders on the right engagements.
- Balance the needs of our clients, our talent, and our business, helping to articulate the tradeoffs and run a profitable business.
- Create and ideate with delivery and Service Lines on forward thinking engagement models, and the execution of those engagement models.
- Act as hiring manager for principal grade technologists in the market. Own the recruitment, engagement, development and retention of a diverse and capable market of technologists that are dedicated to our clients’ success.
- Accountable for building the right technology representation on Client Leadership Teams within the market to drive results. Exhibit a strong passion and commitment to grow the next generation of technology leaders.
- Ensure that all technologists have adequate support structures and connection to the Market.
- Identify technical capability gaps and partner with the Talent function and Technical Directors on ways to strategically build, recruit and rotate talent in order to close those gaps. Work with the Head of Technology to ensure appropriate career paths for technologists.
- Coach and lead Market technology leaders and subject matter experts and execute the performance development process for those technology leaders.
We expect Leaders at ThoughtWorks to embody these outcomes.
- Live our Purpose & Values: Be a role model of our cultural values, protecting our uniqueness while helping TW evolve.
- Think Big; Think Beyond: Think about the “big picture” developing courageous long-term plans to achieve the desired outcomes while linking daily work to long-term vision.
- Take Risks: Take pragmatic risks to help us innovate, learning as much from failure as from success. Balance logic, experience & experimentation to test hypotheses and prototypes.
- Listen, then Speak: Engage others by listening, being curious, and communicating clearly and openly. Influence rather than instruct, using authenticity rather than authority to build an inspirational environment to allow your team to thrive.
- Enable Autonomous Teams: Create an environment of trust that enables teams to work effectively and collaborates within their team and with others. Foster global relationships, have a strong sense of inclusivity, and a global first mentality, making it possible for everyone to achieve their goals.
- Get Results: Drive towards impactful business outcomes, setting clear expectations and providing space for creativity. Achieve results through leveraged leadership. Inspire and recognize teams to achieve sustained, tangible progress, & impactful objectives, while holding both yourself & others accountable.
- Cultivate others & Yourself: Take pride and care in intentionally growing every member of your teams through feedback and a personalized approach to cultivation, creating a feeling of safety, encouragement and celebration. Be aware of your own growth opportunities, and commit to your personal development. (see specific responsibilities in the Cultivate Talent section above.)
- 10+ Leadership/management experience
- 15+ years of technical breadth and depth experience mix.
- Strong communication skills; ability to influence CxO and architect level clients
- Strong business acumen
- Proven track record of consulting skills
- Expertise leading large scale engagements with fortune 500 companies
- Ability to influence, align and activate TWers
- Ability to partner and collaborate with leaders and functional teams
- Experience in technical sales
- Willing to travel (when it's safe)
- Internally: successfully played a Senior Technical Principal for a number of accounts and/or years in the past
A few important things to know:
While we’ve traditionally been a traveling consultancy, travel is not required for this role at the moment. We anticipate the need for travel to our client locations in the future when it’s deemed safe.
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you? That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (click "contact me about recruitment opportunities" to hear about jobs in the future).
It is the policy of ThoughtWorks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and ThoughtWorks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran or military status, family or marital status, disability, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. ThoughtWorks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.