London, United Kingdom, Manchester, United Kingdom, UK
European Data Protection Specialist
ThoughtWorks is a growing technology consultancy with an enviable track record of delivering real business value. Talented, driven and principled people have been brought together because they want to do amazing work for our clients who range from those in media to those in banking to those in the public sector. We also want to revolutionize the way the industry works by improving society through software.
Do you want to lead our European Data Protection initiative and be a part of our extended global Legal & Compliance team? Do you want to work in an informal environment that values people over process?
We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated European Data Protection Lead who brings a pragmatic, business partner approach.
You would be based in the UK (we have offices in Manchester and London). Our other European offices, with which you would interact, are in Italy, Spain, and Germany. You would report directly to the Global Head of Data Protection, with regular interaction with local in house legal teams and functions.
- Day to day coordination of rights requests, queries, and agreement reviews
- Providing front line support to the European business and internal stakeholders
- Provide data privacy advice and guidance
- Ensuring the Record of Processing Activities is up to date in Europe
- Assisting with training, online and in person
- Providing input into Data Privacy Impact Assessments and other privacy risk assessments in Europe
- Assist with global data protection where needed
The Ideal Candidate
- A solid understanding of the GDPR, best practice, and standards
- A deep knowledge of how to practically apply legislation to business scenarios
- An excellent communicator and great soft skills
- Confident in giving data protection advice
- Ability to organise and prioritise tasks
- A good understanding of technology
- Ability to remain calm, controlled and resilient in high pressure situations
- Exhibit sound analytical and business judgment skills
It is important that you have the following competencies:
- Service oriented. Proactive in anticipating the needs of ThoughtWorkers and committed to delivering highly responsive service.
- Undeterred by ambiguity, uncertainty and limited resources. Able to hold many different possibilities and conflicting viewpoints in mind and devise a solution. Envisions what is possible, and then implements a solution.
- Proactive and efficient communicator. Can easily build credibility and trust across a wide range of people.
- Demonstrate personal and professional resilience. Can accept mistakes and handle conflict.
- Team Work. Intuitively collaborative and able to work with all kinds of people. Leads by example. Willing to step in and do what is needed as necessary.
- Sense of Urgency and Ownership. Strong desire to be proactive and innovative, and a commitment to owning challenging issues and solving them.
It would be great to also have
- Formal qualification in Data Protection such as CIPP/E
- Familiarity and experience with the application of non-GDPR data protection regulations
- A great understanding of technology
- A good understanding of information security
- Bilingual in English and German, Spanish, Portuguese, or Mandarin
We offer amazing benefits from the day you start including private medical insurance, travel insurance, income protection, critical illness, life assurance, pension scheme, child care vouchers, personal development budget, 25 days holiday and a ride2work scheme.
We proudly, passionately and actively strive to make both ThoughtWorks and our industry more representative of the communities we serve. We promote diversity in all its forms and reject discrimination and inequality.
Our diversity and award winning culture inspires our thought leaders and serves to nurture and develop amazing ideas. We believe this makes us a world leading destination of choice for all technologists.
We’re also passionate about delivering quality by ensuring the most valuable use of our talents and experience. We aim to support different working patterns to ensure a diverse collective of people can call ThoughtWorks their home so if you’re looking to work with high profile clients, delivering digital transformation and innovation, get in touch and chat to us about working flexibly!