Okay, we know DevOps is not a role, instead much more a philosophy - and we are searching for enthusiasts to share our passion for DevOps with customers and the community alike.
What does a day in this role look like?
As an Infrastructure Consultant (DevOps), you take responsibility for ensuring the ThoughtWorks team and client are aware of the operational and infrastructure requirements for software delivery.
You’re directly involved in building and testing deployment pipelines, automated provisioning of infrastructure and infrastructure support services. You will be depended upon for advice regarding the cross-functional aspects of user stories, as well as watching out for performance bottlenecks and scaling pitfalls.
In all of this, you are driven by the passion and desire to take others along with you on your journey, teaching and mentoring with patience and purpose.
If this sounds appealing then we want to talk to you, because ...
- You are the Ops in DevOps: You know what DevOps stands for. You like spreading the knowledge behind software delivery, shared responsibility and infrastructure operations through close collaboration and pairing in cross-functional teams. You are a strong advocate within your team for writing clean code, designing and testing software systems and applying common infrastructure patterns.
- You are hands-on: You are ready and willing to get involved from day one, building cutting-edge infrastructure, using the latest technology in provisioning and configuration management including support services like monitoring, recovery and alerting.
- You know how to work the cloud: You are very familiar and proficient in topics like virtualization, PaaS and IaaS. Resilience, performance and scalability are most important to you. You have a comprehensive and deep understanding of the architecture behind distributed, connected services and environments.
- You are a servant leader: You have excellent communication skills and treat your peers with respect. You are a patient and resourceful coach and teaching others, to you, is as important as being taught.
- You get the job done: You have an eagerness to learn enough about whatever tools and tricks are needed in order to accomplish your goal. You promote a lean and agile work environment through pragmatism and continuous improvement.
Here’s what you will bring:
- Strong expertise in cloud and virtualization platforms (AWS, Azure, GCE, OpenStack, VMWare, etc.), operating systems (Linux, Windows), infrastructure automation (Ansible, Chef, Packer, Puppet, SaltStack, Terraform, etc.), and application hosting technologies (CloudFoundry, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Mesos, OpenShift, etc.).
- Solid understanding of the practical application of DevOps philosophy, Agile methods, Infrastructure as Code, CI/CD and leading infrastructure and operations teams in an Agile/Lean/Continuous Delivery environment
- Experience in designing and architecting enterprise and/or web-scale hosting platforms
- Understanding of the issues businesses face and experience working with them to create robust, scalable, elegant, flexible and relevant solutions that truly transform industries
- Experience working directly with senior IT groups in an advisory role
- Experience working with CTO/CIO/COO to create technical strategies
- Ideally experience contributing to the professional community as a speaker, author or online contributor
- Ability to work in a variety of client settings and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Here’s what you can do at ThoughtWorks:
- Hands-on implementation work to get projects off the ground, evaluate and drive improvements to existing infrastructure, and to coach developers and infrastructure engineers
- Take the needs and challenges of a client and formulate the technical roadmap and technology solution that will support their business strategies and goals.
- Help to shape and build ThoughtWorks’ cloud and infrastructure practice, including working with business development, marketing, and capabilities development
- Ensure technical expectations of deliverables are met on projects
- Drive ThoughtWorks’ Thought-Leadership on DevOps, cloud, and infrastructure engineering
- Become a trusted and valued partner of the client CIO/CTO and team
You might also want to have a look at this:
So, you can see yourself as an Infrastructure Consultant (DevOps) at ThoughtWorks? Then tell us who you are and let us know why you want to join by submitting your CV today!
At ThoughtWorks, we promote diversity in all its forms and reject discrimination and inequality. We proudly, passionately and actively strive to make both ThoughtWorks and our industry more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve.