ThoughtWorks is a Private Equity backed global technology and consultancy that builds customer software applications to help digitally transform businesses. We think disruptively to deliver technology to address our clients’ toughest challenges, all while seeking to revolutionize the IT industry and create positive social change. We work with a range of clients from media though banking to NGOs. With offices in 14 countries and 40 cities (at last count!), we’re passionate global citizens, aiming to have a huge impact on the world. www.thoughtworks.com
This position is a new position and is a result of rapid growth at the organization and is an amazing opportunity to join our Tax team and make an immediate impact. ThoughtWorks is seeking a seasoned tax professional to join its finance team to develop and lead our rapidly growing global tax function. The Head of Tax will be a key member of finance leadership and manage the global tax team of the organization. We are seeking a highly experienced tax professional who has a history of growing a team and has experience working at a publicly traded company. This position will be responsible for all US and foreign tax aspects of ThoughtWorks and its subsidiaries related operations. The successful candidate will be expected to proactively identify risks and opportunities, recommend tax strategies, and work cross-functionally with members of the tax, finance, legal and business teams to implement solutions. The role will require a self-starter who can work in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple competing projects.
This position will be based in Chicago, Illinois and report to the Chief Financial Officer.
Here’s What You’ll Do
- Responsible for global tax planning strategy to include: lead technical analysis and strategic planning related to organizational structuring, mergers & acquisitions, and intellectual property. For any new business initiatives or corporate reorganization plans, provide management with recommendations and risk analysis specific to the company’s tax profile.
- Direct the activities of tax department staff responsible for compliance, accounting for income taxes, technical research, transfer pricing, process improvement & risk and controls assessment. We’ll need you to set up the right team for success and guide and motivate your team towards successful outcomes.
- Manage the US GAAP financial statement global consolidated reporting process specifically with respect to accounting for income taxes (ASC 740), the global effective tax rate, and accounting for tax uncertainties. This will include working directly with outsourced tax providers or with an internally designated team. Our senior business stakeholders need timely information on the ETR and your role would be to provide this information to the senior business stakeholders.
- Build collaborative cross functional working relationships with regional finance leaders, controllership, legal, and FP&A
- Serve as a tax technical leader, communicating the latest tax developments in US and international tax legislation to management and advising on the impact to ThoughtWorks
- Accountable for outside service providers to budgets and quality expectations
- Support and mentor other finance and tax team members
- Accurately forecast quarterly and annual cash tax flow and effective tax rates
- Support the controllership and FP&A teams in quarterly/yearly tax projections with information from the FP&A teams on profitability – your role will be to use data from the FP&A team to project taxable profits and how those profits translate into tax opportunity or risk on a global level
- Primary responsibility for review of US GAAP global consolidated financial tax provision (ASC 740) and related disclosures for interim and annual financial statements
- Evaluate tax implications of corporate transactions and develop strategies to minimize tax obligations
- Establish and maintain formal tax control framework including policies, procedures and internal controls
- Identify areas of potential tax savings, investigate tax credits and incentives, optimize NOL carryforwards and other tax attributes
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 12+ years of corporate tax management experience (managing a team of direct reports and stakeholders) with at least five years in a public accounting firm
- Experience working with SEC clients or directly for, publicly traded companies
- Degree in Accounting, CPA required; Masters in Taxation preferred
- Experience with domestic and international tax provisions and deep knowledge of ASC 740
- Experience communicating with all levels of management
- Management of transfer pricing issues common to US multi-national technology service companies
- Experience collaborating and working in a team environment
- Time spent in publicly traded technology companies
- Prior experience managing complex global tax structures
- Prior experience in a director or head of tax role
- Sarbanes-Oxley experience with 404 compliance around tax controls