Chicago, Illinois , USA
ThoughtWorks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
As consultants, we work with our clients to ensure we’re evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, build a bold new mobile application for a bank or redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines. You will learn to use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
We’re looking for a Data Strategist who will help our clients
- Devise and execute on an enterprise data strategy, with a focus on modern cloud native big data and analytics investments.
- Guide research of the organization’s business priorities that can be advanced through the application of modern analytics and techniques, and guiding our clients through developing and deploying such technologies.
- Guide definition and implementation of the data strategy, which includes defining technology choices (preferably cloud-based), modernization of existing analytics technologies, closing organizational skill gaps and establishing data ownership and governance practices.
- Address developing data literacy in business and product management functions to enable our clients to maximize their competitive advantage and identify opportunities to acquire new data sources and power differentiating machine learning approaches.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Identify the team and capabilities needed depending on the nature of the business problem.
- Champion organizational change (including data role definitions, team structures, governance practices) to effectively manage the implementation of new analytics and machine learning approaches.
- Participate in planning, needs analysis and risk assessment
- Advise and direct Data Architects and Engineering leaders when designing and delivering scalable internal and external applications and tools
- Develop the organization's data governance strategy
- Collaborating with the following:
- Client governance, risk, compliance and security specialists to ensure the data architecture and practices conform and support broader organizational risk and compliance management.
- Data science strategy leader (and in some cases, stand in for one), to provide the requisite data architecture and platform capabilities required to support the organizational goals that data science and machine learning seek to support.
- Senior engineering leadership to ensure roles, skills and practices are embedded into and governance appropriately on software delivery teams
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have the business acumen, domain experience, technology architecture and delivery experience to identify, conceptualize, prioritize and champion data driven initiatives
- You’re able to collaborate with others on developing, evolving & evangelizing the data aspects of a technology strategy and communicate your progress to others.
- You have strong consulting skills. Especially influencing and coaching others, as well as experiencing building consensus around technical decisions and communicating technical decisions to a non technical audience.
- You have experience supporting organizational changes in regards to capability development, restructuring toward product-centric team models, and transitioning to modern agile SDLC practices
- You’re able to articulate the value of modern data technology approaches to business executives and build key relationships with platform teams to ensure delivery.
- You are capable of identifying, shaping and selling new business opportunities
- Previous experience in developing modern, cloud-first data strategies in moderate to large scale organizations and previous executive and delivery responsibility within an engineering organization
A few important things to know:
While we’ve traditionally been a traveling consultancy, travel is not required for this role at the moment. We anticipate the need for travel to our client locations in the future when it’s deemed safe.
Candidates must possess work authorization that does not require H-1B visa sponsorship by ThoughtWorks or dependent EAD.
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you? That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (click "contact me about recruitment opportunities" to hear about jobs in the future).
It is the policy of ThoughtWorks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and ThoughtWorks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran or military status, family or marital status, disability, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. ThoughtWorks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.