Chicago, Illinois, USA
Our developers have been contributing code to major organizations and open source projects for over 25 years now. They’ve also been writing books, speaking at conferences, and helping push software development forward -- changing companies and even industries along the way.
As consultants, we work on-site with our clients to ensure we’re delivering the best possible solution. Our Lead Developers play an important role in leading these projects to success. Curious what makes a developer a Lead around these parts?
You will be:
- Often the day-to-day primary point of contact with our clients
- Able to strategically lead a project team to successful delivery
- Excited to mentor, influence and lead a team of ThoughtWorkers and clients
- An expert in at least one language or domain
We believe that to flourish in this role, you're good at:
- Architecture. You should be comfortable working with your team to craft a design: choosing the appropriate technology and designing a solution that both answers the problem at hand, and stays within constraints.
- Understanding and often playing a major part in the entire cycle of software consulting and delivery, from ideation, to project conception, to UX, to code, to testing, to deployment, and around again.
- Mentoring a team and bringing them up to speed on new languages and skills. We all learn from each other, but with the breadth of technical experience you’ll bring to the table, you’ll be an invaluable teacher to your less-experienced peers.
- Thinking big and acting fast and ability to deal with ambiguity. That means you can manage competing priorities, that you’re ready to pivot or adjust plans quickly, and that you understand the role you and your team play in major organizations’ tech strategies.
- Influencing priorities, for both the team and the client. You understand both the business problem and the technical solution, and you’re able to advocate for excellence and effect change when necessary.
- Stakeholder Management. As consultants, we navigate within our client’s organizations to influence big decision makers and win trust. In this job, you’ll be using your people skills as much as your coding skills.
- Minimum 6 years of professional experience using two or more development languages and leading software development teams.
- Business value focus and experience developing technical vision and strategy on projects
- Ability to write high-quality, well-tested code. We don’t limit ourselves to one language, but experience in the latest Object-Oriented technology is required.
- Experience working with Agile, Lean and/or Continuous Delivery approaches such as Continuous Integration, TDD, Infrastructure as Code, etc. is necessary.
- Knowledge and appreciation of cloud technology such as AWS, Docker or Kubernetes is a plus.
- Ability to travel.
- Exposure to a huge variety of client engagements. You could be influencing the digital strategy of a retail giant, building a new mobile application for a bank or redesigning platforms using event sourcing & intelligent data pipelines. You’ll use the latest Lean & Agile thinking, solve critical problems and challenge yourself every day.
- Allowances for books, conferences & training, cell phone, local transit, and high-speed internet
- Personal development programs and training tailored to the career path that you choose
- Opportunities for global assignments/travel
- Internal conferences and community events
A few important things to know:
Projects are almost exclusively on customer site, so candidates should be flexible and open to extensive travel.
Candidates must possess work authorization that does not require H-1B visa sponsorship by ThoughtWorks or dependent EAD.
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you? That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (click "contact me about recruitment opportunities" to hear about jobs in the future).
It is the policy of ThoughtWorks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and ThoughtWorks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran status, family status, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. ThoughtWorks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.